Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Customer Comment: Big Cat Volunteering Trip - Namibia - Recommendation

I have been returned a few weeks from my superb trip to Namibia with you to take part in one of your Volunteering trips. I've started a new job and been very busy but have at last found the time to drop you a note with my feedback ...
The trip surpassed my expectations ! It doesnt get much better than that does it !

PAWS (Roma & Clive) who run the project have done the most superb job - Clive was over in the UK when i was over there so i wasnt lucky enough to have met him but Roma and Rian the lead guide plus the other guys made everything a delight !

The thought that has gone into setting up the camp and the passion with which they lead the project was inspiring - whilst it was camping, in my mind it was so much better than i expected and so comfortable.

I learned so much in my 2 weeks there - the 'cause' is admirable and you can really see the difference they have made which makes you want to do even more - being able to feel i had contributed even a little made me very inspired and i enjoyed the rewards of the afternoon activities even more as a result - it felt great to have earned the right to be part of the cheetah's/leopards world as we followed them in the afternoon game drives and got so close to them with such wonderful sightings. Getting to know the names of the released cats and each of their stories made it even more personal and very much a privilege to share time with them. There were more than one 'once in a lifetime' moments - my very best was the sheer thrill of watching a cheetah chase and making a kill whilst we observed on foot - wow, how special and truly amazing is that!.

I travelled by myself and as a 40yr old was nervous that everyone would be younger but the mix was great - from 18 to 60's and with our shared interest in the cats, the wildlife and the project (both PAWS and AFRICAT). I would encourage everyone with an interest in this direction to give it a go and not hold back.

I've done safaris before - both overland camping and also in luxury tents - whilst i have loved each and everyone of those i must say, the joy of being in one place for 2 weeks was really relaxing and really gave me a sense of being part of the environment, 'in it' as opposed to 'moving through it' - together with the opportunity to learn about conservation, PAWS and AFRICAT, and doing something personally to make a very small difference to the future of the cats and the reserve was a privilege that made it a very different and hugely more rewarding trip. I have brought home so much more than just great photographs !

Anyway, I wanted to share my experience of the trip so that you can pass it on to others expressing an interest - I'm not sure how you operate but i would be very happy to speak to any potential clients for the trip if they want to hear from someone who's been there - I know it can be daunting when trying to decide which trips to do when they all look so fantastic in your brochure but i would like to share my experiences in some way to encourage more people to take the plunge, I am sure like me they'll come back llike me with a special place in their hearts for Paws and Africat.

I attach just a couple of my very very many photographs from a fantastic fortnight that i really didnt want to end !

Sarah K. Namibia. November 2010

For Big Cat Volunteering holiday in Namibia - click here

1 comment:

HardCore Wild said...

Absalutly love the blog! Keep up the good work!